Hi! I’d like to share with you one of my processes in making a Project Life spread. My process is different for each project, sometimes I start printing photos with no layout or color theme in mind. Or I choose the products first and then decide later on an event that goes with the card designs, like with this featured project. This spread is part of my Travel-Highlights album (you may view the other pages here)
STARTING POINT – One Little Bird Designs Printables
• My starting point was the “Let’s Go On An Adventure” 3×4 card from the Trailblazer kit by One Little Bird Designs.
(to learn more about choosing Starting Points, read my previous blog post, tip #1)
• At first, I had no idea which trip to feature so I looked through my “Places to Scrap about” list and chose a vacation that was adventure-filled
• Our Mui Ne, Vietnam trip was the perfect choice. We did a lot of fun activities there – rode an ATV in the sand dunes, tried sand slide, swam in the beach/pool, ate Vietnamese food, etc. The sand photos coordinate well with the muted colors of the One Little Bird Designs cards, too!
PRINTING THE CARDS
• I laid out the cards on a 9×12 sheet on Photoshop.
• I made 6×4″ and 3×4″ cards out of the 12×12″ papers.
• I didn’t want to waste paper so I squeezed some text embellishments on the bottom part. I also cut out text from the other journaling cards.
• I had these printed at a shop that offers digital printing services. Type of paper is Bevania White, 270gsm
• Here’s an important tip for every memory keeper: Organize your travel photos. Selecting 20 out of 1000+ photos to print is easier when your files are organized by folders. Every time I come home from a trip, I gather all of the pics from my/family/friend’s cameras, group by date, and then by place. For organizing photos, I use Adobe Bridge because of its interface – you can enlarge the thumbnails for better viewing & the files load faster. (I should write a separate blogpost about this!)
• I created a new folder for the photos that I’d like to print. I went through my library in Adobe Bridge, chose 1-2 pics per activity/place/event by hitting Right click>Copy To>(Pics to print Folder)
PLANNING THE PAGE
• I slipped the cards into the page protectors first in order to determine the number of photos that I need to print
• Sometimes I use Photoshop for planning pages. It’s much easier to visualize how the spread will look like, and I know right away which spaces I need to fill with photos.
• The size of my template is 12×24″ / 300 dpi, the actual size of a spread. I placed ruler guides (same measurements as the pockets) so it’ll be easy to slice them later for printing.
• I resized my chosen photos to 6×4″, 3×4″, 2×2″, 3×2.5″ (300 dpi) and placed them on the template.
• I don’t necessarily follow this layout, this isn’t final yet. Sometimes I switch my cards and photos after I’ve printed everything.
• Brighten photos first. A fast way to brighten a photo on Photoshop is to duplicate the layer of the photo and then change the blending mode from Normal to Screen on the Layers palette. You can reduce the opacity of the layer to adjust its brightness. My default opacity value usually ranges from 25-50%.
• I cropped each photo using the Rectangular Marquee Tool (followed the ruler guides) and then transferred them to a 12×18″ document. Since the paper had free space, I inserted other small printables like labels and words embellishments
• Like my cards, I had my photos digitally printed on Bevania White paper, 270gsm.
ASSEMBLING THE PAGE
• After printing, I cut my photos using the Making Memories Paper Trimmer
• I slipped the photos into the pockets, rearranged until I’m satisfied with how the spread looks
• I used my Kokuyo Dot Liner glue tape (love that it’s mess-free!) for sticking embellishments.
2. This RIDE embellishment is my favorite! I also got it from the Pedal Pusher add-on kit.
3. The mint green card (from the TrailBlazer kit) is supposed to be a journal card, I didn’t have much to say so I just used it as a background for my photo. The photo size is 3 x 2.5″.
4. I cut out the “Live Life Fully” text from the TrailBlazer journal card and used it as a photo embellishment
5. “<3 to RIDE” is from the Pedal Pusher kit. This set’s really perfect for my ATV photos!
6. “This is New” embellishment is from the Tuesday Morning kit. Love that I got to try a lot of new things on this vacation!
• Download free maps: I downloaded an eps file of Vietnam from www.freevectormaps.com , opened the file on Illustrator, and then copy-pasted the graphic to Photoshop. I copied the mint green shade of the Trailblazer cards by using the Eyedropper Tool. The pretty glitter background came from the Hello Friend kit.
• I cut out the “This Happened” text from one of the Trailblazer journal cards and transferred it on another card.
Thanks for reading! Hope this post will inspire you to start your Project Life page now 😀
Follow me at www.instagram.com/makingideashappen
Visit my other craft/design blog: make-ideas-happen.blogspot.com